Sunday, September 4, 2011

What Kind of...

Click on image for larger view!!

This comic was inspired by the multitude of "FACE PLANT" stories I have come across recently in my Blogger travels. Did you see that camera guy in Geoff Roes video go down, now that was funny...but why was it funny? Seeing people fall should not be funny but it is, as long as no one gets hurt...seriously. I ended up with stitches once when I fell and believe me I was not laughing.

It is quite the experience though, running along without a care in the world, admiring the landscape, the flora, the fauna then BAM you are down. The ground comes up so quickly to your face and it feels like gravity has increased ten fold as your head smashes to the ground shaking your brain all around. Sometimes trying to save yourself can spell more trouble and you end up with a cut hand, a broken wrist or a dislocated elbow. Not fun or funny stuff for sure.

The truth of the matter is that "face plants" are dangerous as many people have suffered serious injuries taking one and my question could just as easily have been, "What is the most dangerous plant to an Ultrarunner?" In that split second that someone is falling none of us knows if the fall will result in a scratch or a broken bone. So when the dust settles and it appears that everything is in the right place then I guess all of that adrenaline from the anticipation just has to go somewhere and it ends up spilling out as a kind of celebratory relief  in the form a big hearty burst of laughter.

No comments: